Thursday, January 3, 2008

Not Fit for a King

As MLK Day approaches this month, his challenge to us remains unmet

Here's a snippet of my latest column in the Pittsburgh City Paper, click here to read the entirety:

We should remember that we hear snippets from the "I Have a Dream" speech so often today because it sanitizes the challenge he posed to us. If King were alive today, he would be 78 years old, and that wouldn't be too shabby. But I would be too embarrassed to tell him that Pittsburgh was voted the "Most Livable City," because I'm sure he would ask how we define "living."

In his time, he heard the "cries of disappointment" from black youths, in particular, who were raging in riots, exasperated by a non-violent struggle that had done little to enhance their quality of life.


Let me know what you think, readers.

RIP Benazir Bhutto (more on her later, I am still learning).

No comments: